I started planning this project about a year ago. My nieces 21st was coming up and she suggested I make her a quilt using the Birth of Venus but with her face. As usual I said no problem, but then of course I had to make it.
For those not familiar with the painting this is it -
As it is a very wide painting not suitable for a quilt I cropped it to this size -
I think this gave the most attractive bits for the quilt.
Then I had to draft the pattern and use my nieces face -
So this is the finished quilt. I don't think it turned our too badly. A lot of the detail I did with quilting as to piece would have been too fiddley. I probably would not have chosen the fabrics I did if I was just sewing a quilt of squares but I think they quite accurately reflect the colours of the painting.
It is called Birth of Nikita - hope she likes it.